“On any given evening across the city, from the Jazz Showcase to Symphony Center to the Lyric Opera, you can hear DePaul students, faculty and alumni performing,” Bundra said.
The new building, together with the DePaul Art Museum, which opened in 2011, and The Theatre School, which opened in 2013, represents a significant cultural addition for the residents of Lincoln Park and the greater Chicago area.
“The new School of Music complex will crown our plans for a vibrant artistic corridor along Fullerton Avenue for the entire community,” Holtschneider said. The school itself offers more than 300 free concerts a year, just down the street from the highly-ranked theatre school and the free admission art museum.
“The new School of Music complex is a multi-phase project,” said Bob Janis, vice president for Facility Operations.
The new Music Center building anchors the proposed complex, housing a 535-seat concert hall, a 150-seat large recital hall, and an 80-seat small recital hall.
Music South (formerly the Chapel building) will be substantially refitted to accommodate an Opera Rehearsal Hall and its supporting spaces.
The new School of Music and the Theatre School's productions will be open to the community and enrich the proud history of arts in the Lincoln Park community. A world class concert hall will stand on the east campus, and a state-of-the-art theater will anchor the campus on the west.
- Site Area: 177,542 GSF (gross square feet)
- Height of new Music Center Building:
- 55 ft. to parapet at building edge
- 74 ft. to top of penthouse
- 65 ft. to top of barrel vault
- 3 floors above ground, on top of underground 100-car parking garage
- Building setbacks (measured from property line):
- from Fullerton Ave.: 24 ft. 7 in. (existing Music North Building)
- from Halsted St.: 20 ft. 0 in. (new Music Center Building)
- from Belden Ave.: 53 ft. 8 in. (existing Music South Building)
- from Chalmers Pl.: 44 ft. 7 in. (new Music Center Building); 38 ft. 7 in. (existing Music North Building)
- The building height is reduced at the building edges through these setbacks to allow for the concert hall while still blending with surrounding residences.
- Number of Seats
- Concert Hall: 535 seats
- Opera Hall: 176 seats
- Large Recital Hall: 150 seats
- Small Recital Hall: 80 seats
- Number of Parking Spaces: 100 (below ground)